Town of Coopertown
This employee (Part-Time / Full-Time) is responsible for clerical duties relating to the administrative functions of personnel, typing of meeting minutes, filing, copying, scanning and other clerical duties. This position also includes other support services under the general supervision of the City Recorder. Some independent judgment is used in performing tasks. The Clerk will be cross trained to perform essential functions of the City Clerk, Building Commissioner, Court Clerk and act as the Mayor’s Assistant as needed. The Clerk may be asked to also act as back-up during City Court sessions. The employee must occasionally consider different courses of action in order to complete tasks.
The employee will operate a computer, scanner, copier, and other office equipment. This employee will also do research on the internet and work indoors in an office environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
• Welcome visitors to City Hall and directing them to the proper department.
• Assist the City Clerk in updating the town website and social media sites; posts new material, links, etc.
• Assist in preparing packets of material for meetings; typing minutes for meetings, as needed
• Maintain public document files and books of ordinances, resolutions and policies
• Look up and process property and business tax as needed.
• Compose and type letters and other correspondence; assist in keeping all policy and procedure manuals up to date.
• Deal effectively with citizens, answer their questions and refer them to the appropriate department
• Process all Beer Board and fireworks applications
• Scanning and archiving documentation for the Building Commissioner
ADDITIONAL EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
• Become cross-trained in essential functions of the Court Clerk, Building Commissioner, and City Clerk.
• Publish Meeting Notices both on the website and in the newspaper, archive all public notices
• Perform other assignments at the direction of the Mayor and City Recorder
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
• Above average ability to use Word, Excel, Power Point and other software
• General working knowledge of website and social media platforms
• Write a good business letter with good use of the English language
• Ability to evaluate situations and make decisions
• Ability to work independently on a variety of difficult and responsible clerical tasks
• Ability to express ideas clearly, concisely, and convincingly
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with the public and other employees
• Ability to type 40 words per minute accurately
• Must be of good character
• High school graduate
• Experience in clerical-type work
• Availability to work some evenings, with adequate advance notice and scheduling
• Must pass drug screening and random drug tests performed by the Town’s licensed physician (all employees)
• Must pass a background check