JOB TITLE: Program Specialist, School-Based Programs Robertson County
REPORTS TO: Manager of School Based Programs
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: No
FLSA STATUS: Exempt – Salary
LOCATION: Robertson County, TN including regular travel to Nashville
BIGGER AND BETTER TOGETHER
For over 50 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee has served young people in the Middle TN region. Our work supports our belief that every child has the ability to succeed and thrive in life. Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (Bigs) and youth (Littles). Through our commitment to quality, innovation, and the passion we have for our work, we develop and sustain positive, life-changing relationships that have a direct and lasting impact on the lives of our youth and the adults who mentor them.
Our Mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. As noted by our Vision, we are driven by a future in which all youth achieve their full potential.
WE ARE AN AGENCY THAT CELEBRATES DIFFERENCES
We show each other dignity through our partnerships, decisions, and language. We intentionally engage, represent, and partner with our diverse communities. We demonstrate our values by learning together with staff, board, volunteers, youth, families, and investors to think and act with sensitivity and intentionality. Driven by the voice of our stakeholders, our agency develops responsive and respectful programming and builds strategic and thoughtful alliances.
We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. We know that teams perform at their highest when they feel supported and that they belong. Each of our team members brings unique perspectives and skills, and we are committed to building a culture where voices are heard, differences are celebrated, and everyone has the opportunity to do meaningful work. At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN, you will be inspired by talented, passionate colleagues who will motivate you to do and be your best. We are bigger and better together!
About the Role
Each employee at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee helps extend the agency’s mission in particular ways, as outlined in the position description. The essential functions of the position include but are not limited to the following:
Big Brothers Big Sisters seeks a Program Specialist who will thrive in a growing organization that is dedicated to positively impacting more youth through high quality, 1-to-1 mentoring. In this role, you will provide support and strengthen mentoring relationships between youth and positive mentors matched in our school-based programs. Your coaching and guidance will help empower and inspire youth to reach their full, inherent potential, especially youth of color who are disproportionately impacted by systemic barriers. Primary responsibilities will include providing support to new and existing BBBS matches to ensure child safety, positive outcomes for youth, healthy and satisfying relationships between children and volunteers, and a strong sense of affiliation with BBBS. Other responsibilities will include the interviewing and assessment of volunteers and youth, facilitating the introduction of new mentoring relationships, and conducting orientation for new volunteers interested in the site-based program.
Our ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, be organized, be able to provide a positive customer experience, be able to multi-task, and have a passion for improving the lives of young people and our underrepresented youth. This team member will be passionate about and able to engage mentors and community partners from diverse communities, especially within communities of color and the LGBTQ+ community. Evening and some weekend hours are required. People from the communities we serve are especially encouraged to apply.
Day to day:
· Manage a caseload of volunteers (Bigs) and youth (Littles) who have been paired in a mentoring relationship. Through regular support calls, continually assess the match relationship focusing on: child safety, match relationship development, positive youth development and volunteer and family satisfaction.
· Conduct in-person match introductions at program sites between the Little and Big in order to help facilitate early relationship development.
· Supervise weekly match meetings between Bigs and Littles in the High School Bigs program.
· Work with school staff to identify and recruit youth who would benefit from a Big
· Identify, address and resolve existing and/or potential match challenges through regular coaching conversations and in-person meetings.
· Provide on-going coaching, support and training to help develop and sustain lasting match relationships that have a positive impact on the youth served.
· Assess volunteers and children for appropriate program participation by conducting initial and update interviews, orientations, and training. Obtain collateral material needed for assessment purposes, including criminal background checks and references.
· Complete timely and comprehensive written assessments and recommendations for participation in the program based upon assessments of each individual.
· Maintain up-to-date, accurate and detailed documentation and database records according to Big Brothers Big Sisters standards.
· Work schedule includes regular evening and some weekend hours to best meet the needs of our families and volunteers.
· Provide program participants with solution focused strategies, resources and training that will help to further support match participants.
· Participate in professional training as provided by the agency and the National office to achieve maximum development of professional skills when required.
· Perform other duties dependent on departmental needs throughout the year.
This Job May Be For You…..
· Youth-serving experience, especially working with youth of color and/or from marginalized communities
· Passion for supporting youth through strengths based strategies
· Understanding of issues/barriers that impact children and families from underserved populations
· Belief in the power of mentoring relationships
· Celebrates diversity
· Ability to work remotely and comfortable utilizing latest technologies
· Strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to work independently, as well as with a team
· Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment and effectively manage shifting priorities and responsibilities
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills reflecting outstanding customer service, both in- person and by telephone
· Ability to think critically, effectively provide responsive coaching, and draw solid conclusions based on information provided
· Comfortable engaging in challenging conversations
Additionally, we’d love…
· Effective group presentation skills
· Driven to help youth reach their full potential
· Consistent desire to seek out new and more effective methods to support programming
· Understanding of/experience with youth mentoring
· Familiarity with Positive Youth Development strategies
· Spanish fluency
Relevant youth-serving experience or a Bachelor’s degree/college coursework in Social Work or a related field. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook, and Excel. Must have a reliable car, valid driver’s license and meet state required automobile insurance minimum.
Because we hire the best people and value our staff, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN works hard to provide competitive benefits to our team. Our comprehensive benefits package, which helps to support a healthy work/life balance, includes:
· Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision) – a generous portion is paid by BBBSMT
· 100% Employer paid Text Care Concierge Medicine, providing our team and family members free 24/7 text communication and care with medical providers
· Domestic Partner Benefits
· Company Paid Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability
· Employee Assistance Program
· Immediate enrollment in our 403B — We match 50% of what you contribute up to 6% of pay and staff are vested after 12 months of employment
· Training & development programs
· Opportunities for advancement- we promote from within!
· 20 days of paid time off
· 15 paid holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Years
· Monthly cell phone stipend
· Flexible work schedule with a hybrid work environment
· Professional resume, LinkedIn profile, and headshot
Americans with Disabilities Act
Employee must be able to perform all essential job functions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities, and competencies necessary to perform the job’s essential duties and responsibilities. They should not be regarded as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. BBBSMT may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the organization’s needs.
To see more of the impact we are making: http://www.mentorakid.org
If this sounds like the position and organization for you, please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Your Name – Program Specialist – School Based” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
BBBSMT values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages all genders, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. BBBSMT is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.