Southern States Construction is accepting applications for a Senior Accountant in Springfield, TN. This position will provide financial analysis and accounting support for all of our construction projects that include new residential construction, commercial construction and also renovation of historical buildings. You will be joining a passionate team of dedicated individuals that create a quality product with unparalleled customer service. This position, with the right individual has the potential to transition to the company’s CFO. The ideal candidate is a person who wants to be in the race to win rather than watch the race take place.
The key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Prepare and analyze monthly financial reports and metrics that detail the financial status of projects, including potential cost issues that may impact forecasted costs and profitability.
• Able to complete balance sheets and profit/loss statements.
• Complete bank preparation for meetings with financial institutions or potential investors, with a future goal of spearheading these meetings.
• Review all job cost estimates to ensure completeness and accuracy.
• Maintain customer and subcontractor contract amounts and change orders.
• Create and submit contract billings according to contract terms and billing schedules, ensuring all allowable costs are billed in a timely manner.
• Proactively collaborate and meet with Project Managers to ensure accurate billing of projects. Ensure all billing information and job costs are captured in accordance with contractual requirements. Meet with Project Managers regularly to facilitate billing communication.
• Manage receivables and payables related to the jobs resulting in favorable project cash flow.
• Perform job cost analysis for all ongoing projects and targeted post-mortem job audits.
• Investigate cost variances and work with project management to recover and offset cost overruns.
• Evaluate and update overhead burden assumptions for job costing.
• Monitor employee chargeback rates.
• Oversee project closeout reconciliation process in a timely manner.
• Communicate consistently and effectively with subcontractors to reconcile pay applications with respect to original contract value, change orders, and pending change orders.
• Book other journal entries as required, including WIP and over/under-billings, COGS accruals, fixed assets, etc.
• Develop best practice methods, templates and assumptions that can be applied across jobs.
• Other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and/or Experience Requirements:
• Associates or bachelor’s in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration, or related field of study and at least 5 years previous accounting experience.
• Management is a plus, but not required.
• Certified Purchasing Professional (CPP) certification is a plus, but not required.
• Has the functional and technical knowledge and skill sufficient to prepare, review, and process A/P invoices, A/R billings and Pay Applications as required for business operations.
• Has a full understanding of a General Ledger Chart of Accounts enough to ensure accurate and timely coding, input and report generation of A/P and A/R or billing data.
• Read and understand construction plans and architectural drawings and specifications is a plus.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational and prioritization skills, with a focus on attention to detail and accuracy.
• Strong technical skills, with proficiency in Microsoft based applications, Project Management Software (Co-Construct), and Quickbooks Desktop Enterprise Contractor’s Edition.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Committed to upholding the highest professional work standards, confidentiality and ethics
• Positive, can-do attitude; diplomacy and approachability.
• Construction industry or manufacturing accounting experience strongly preferred.
• Experience with ERP accounting applications commonly used in construction.
Additional Benefits & Perks:
• Competitive Pay
• Performance Based Career Advancement
• Potential Medical, Dental and Vision
• Paid Time Off after 90 days
• Mentorship Program
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
• Monday to Friday in office