Performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled maintenance work and operates a variety of equipment in the construction, maintenance and repair and/or replacement of town roads and drainage of right of ways. The Foreman is responsible for supervising the work of the Street Department Laborers, road maintenance contractors, or other construction crews when the Street Department Supervisor is not present.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Operates light and heavy trucks, tractor, bucket truck, backhoes, chippers, chainsaws, pressure washer, mowers and other equipment as assigned
• Responsible for maintenance of equipment assigned such as greasing, checking oil, etc.
• Assists in maintaining all maintenance records
• Inspects town roads at frequent intervals to ensure that all aspects of the systems are functioning properly and reports all findings to the Supervisor
• Maintains and installs traffic signs and guardrails
• Performs basic carpentry forming and concrete work
• Prior to drainage or road work, works with Supervisor to determine location of gas, telephone, power, television water and sewer lines from the appropriate sources prior to excavation
• Mows, trims, and operates weed eater on Town road right of ways, City Hall and other town owned properties
• Removes branches/limbs, litter and obstructions from town roads and right of ways
• Patches potholes with asphalt
• Spreads salt/sand/brine on town streets during snow and ice storms
• Ensures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use
• Responds during natural disasters; participates in on-call and standby duties which involves working alone or with co-workers at night, weekends, and holidays to resolve situations that occur after normal business hours.
• Interacts with residents and/or town businesses relating to interruptions in road access, complaints and service requests regarding pot holes, flooding, right of way problems, and explains all findings to Supervisor
• Maintains a variety of records as assigned
• Utilize the property safety precautions in all work performed
• Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Mayor
• High school diploma or GED equivalent
• Combination of education or experience:
o Basic knowledge of equipment , facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance, construction and repair activities;
o Semi-skilled in the purpose and use of general construction tools and equipment
o Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time
o Ability to work safely and independently
o Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
o Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public
o Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions to include directions given in a multi-step process.
• Valid state drivers’ license
• Reliable personal transportation
• OSHA 10 (OSHA 30 a plus)
• Must be able to follow all safety guidelines as established by Federal, State or Town policies and procedures
• Must be able to work non-regular work days and/or hours
• Must pass drug screen and random drug test
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Motorized vehicles and equipment including: dump truck, pickup truck, utility truck, tractor, chipper backhoe, salt/sand spreader, roller, saws, compressors, concrete saw, pressure washer, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, etc.
• The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
• The employee must be able to climb ladders, be hoisted to elevations and work, climb over rough terrain while carrying a load of up to 50 pounds
• The employee must be able to work in inclement weather.
• The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts, on roadsides where vehicles are in operation and will be exposed to loud noise.
• The employee may be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, and potentially toxic chemicals. Employee must be able to follow all policies and procedures due to safety issues relating to these exposures.